Sometimes on my day off in the morning I feel like baking, it sets my day, and makes me calm. I came up with this cake recipe when I opened my pantry and saw too many bits and pieces just hanging around in there. Its not a perfect looking cake but let me tell you it was soo delicious we finished it in 2 days. That's what home cooking is all about, making delicious food first and good looks can come later.
1.5 Cups Almond Meal
1 Cup Caster Sugar
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Cup Softened Unsalted Butter
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Zest of 1 Lemon
FOR QUICK HONEY SYRUP
1/2 Cup Raw Honey
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1. Preheat oven to 180C and line a round cake tin with baking paper and rub butter on the sides.
2. In a mixing bowl using hand mixer whisk butter and sugar until creamy.
3. Now add eggs, lemon juice and vanilla extract, whisk until combined.
4. Add Almond meal, Baking powder, Baking soda and zest of lemon. Mix it well but gently. Pour the batter in prepared cake tin.
5. Bake for 40 min approx or until a skewer comes out clean. Take the cake out and prick some holes with skewer and pour honey syrup when its still hot.
To Make Honey syrup
In a pot on medium heat warm honey and lemon juice together, thin consistency is fine.
Enjoy your cake with some Coffee!