Indian cooking is all about seasonal cooking, and in winter when spinach and green leafy vegetables are in abundance they are incorporated a lot in diet. Indians love making variety of dishes with spinach and this is one Quick, Simple Vegan recipe. Serve with roti, rice or just bread.
1 Bunch Spinach roughly chopped, about 2-2.5 cups
1 Tomato, Quartered
1 cup sliced mushroom
1/4 cup Cashews
1 1/2 inch chopped ginger
2 cloves of garlic
1 green chilli (use thai or Indian chilli or half long green chilli)
1 Red onion, chopped finely
1 Tsp Cumin seeds
1 Tsp Masala Turmeric Blend or Just Turmeric
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 Tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
1/2 Tsp Rose Garam Masala or any Garam Masala
1 Tsp Salt
1 cup water plus 1/4 cup Hot water
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Wash Spinach thoroughly in water to get rid of any dirt. Roughly chop it and blanch in boiling water for 5 min to get rid of any bitterness. Strain and wash under cold water and keep aside. (This step helps in retaining Spinach's green colour)
2. In a blender add Spinach, Tomato, Ginger, Clove and Chillies with 1/2 cup water and blend until smooth paste is formed.
3. In a pan on medium heat, heat some oil and fry sliced mushrooms until slightly golden and keep aside.
4. In same pan add some more oil and add cumin, once cumin starts spluttering add onion.
5. Fry onion until translucent, now add Masala turmeric blend, red chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and Garam masala. Saute this for 1 min and add rest of 1/2 cup water.
6. Cook spices for 2-3 min on low heat and then add spinach paste followed by mushrooms. Cook for 5-7 min with lid covered.
7. While spinach is cooking make cashew paste. In blender blend cashews and 1/4 cup hot water. Add this paste to the spinach and cook for another 5 min.
8. To finish the dish, add lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander if you like. Serve with rice or bread.