This recipe elevates boring cabbage with just few spices, its simple healthy home cooking just done right. Different regions in India add their regional flavours like coconut, sesame seeds, mustard oil etc. It can be served as a side dish.
1 tbsp oil any (coconut or mustard tastes the best)
1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
1 medium tomato diced
1 green chill chopped finely (Optional)
1/2 tsp Assamese Panch Phoron or just mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Masala Turmeric Blend or just turmeric
1/2 tsp Salt (Adjust to taste)
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander or curry leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. On medium heat in a pan heat oil & add Assamese Panch Phoron or mustard seeds & fry until seeds splutter.
2. Then add garlic & fry until slightly brown. Once garlic is brown & aromatic add chillies if using & sliced cabbage. Gently give it a good stir, cover with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes.
3. Once cabbage is slightly soft, add Masala Turmeric Blend or just turmeric followed by salt. Mix this well & cook for another 10-12 min on low heat. Add 2-3 tbsp water if cabbage gets stuck to the pan & stir.
4. Once the cabbage is cooked and flavours have mixed well add tomatoes, adjust salt if you need to and cook for another 5-6 min.
5. To finish the recipe add lemon juice & garnish with coriander or curry leaves. Serve with lentils, rice or roti.
*This dish tastes amazing If you slice cabbage thinly. The cabbage goes really soft & also has sweet caramelised bits once its cooked.
*Add 2 tbsp of toasted desiccated coconut after step 4 for added flavours.
*You can substitute mustard seeds with cumin seeds too.